Original recipe was taken from: http://jamiecooksitup.net/2010/05/luscious-italian-lasagna/
This is how I did it:
(Picture shows ingredients for double batch, recipe is for single)
- 1 -16 oz box lasagna noodles
- 2 -32 oz jars spaghetti sauce (I used 1 big bottle of sauce)
- 1 pound sausage (I used reduced fat)
- 1 -15 oz ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
- 1.5 C mozzarella cheese, shredded (Bought already shredded in a bag)
- 1 C Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Extra Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
Step 1: In a large pan brown your sausage and prepare noodles as directed by the box. (**Make sure to boil the water first** little joke if you’ve read Who am I?) When the noodles are done, drain and pour cool water over them. This makes them easier to handle when putting the lasagna together.
Step 2: Once the sausage is cooked, pour the spaghetti sauce in with it. At this point, you can either keep it simmering on low or just turn the stove off. I chose to pour into another sauce pan because I was doubling the batch. **Note: I need a bigger pan!*
Step 3: In a bowl, combine all the cheeses (except 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese), spices, and egg. This cheese mixture is thick! When layering it…you are going to have to use your hands.
Step 4: Now it’s time to layer the lasagna!
- Pour enough sauce in bottom of pan to cover it
- Add layer of noodles (about 4)
- Add cheese layer
- Add sauce layer
- Repeat 2-4 until noodles and cheese mixture are gone
Step 5: Top with any remaining sauce, then add the 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan to cover the top.
Step 6: Place foil over top. At this point you can either move on to baking the lasagna or you can prep it for freezing.
- To prep for freezing: Place foil (a layer or 2) over and then I wrapped mine with plastic wrap. Stick in the freezer! Before baking, take out and thaw in fridge for up to 24 hours.
Keep foil on top and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 15 minutes or until desired temperature.
- I baked for 60 minutes and it was perfect for my kids.
- I then put it back in the oven for another 15 mins at 400 degrees to get it a little hotter for my husband who thinks food needs to burn his mouth in order to eat it.
- If you lasagna is frozen, it may need to be in longer, depending on your oven.
Final result: YUMMY and Kid approved!