Freezer Turkey Cheese Burgers
Original recipe taken from: http://momonamission.me/?p=1301
This is how I made them:
2 pounds ground turkey
2 medium size zucchini, trimmed and grated (about 2 cups)
3 cups of shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
foil or wax paper
1. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, salt, onion powder, basil, pepper and meal or crumbs.
- As you can see I did not follow the instructions completely…I just threw everything in my mixed and went with it!
2. Add cheese and turkey and mix well.
This is what the mixture will look like when it’s all done. I made a double batch of this and I have to say, it’s not a good idea to do this in my mixer….it’s just too small. For the future I’ll be making 1 batch at a time.
3. I used wax paper and cut them up in squares to put between the burgers. This made getting the burgers out of the freezer so easy!
4. Form into patties
5. Freeze each patty between sheets of foil or wax paper.
6. Label and date freezer bag
7. Place the burgers in the bag and freeze
I took the frozen patties right from the bag and put them in the skillet on the stove and cook until done. It maybe took about 10-15 mins to cook through. If they are thawed if won’t take as long. These were perfect for lunch.
Alternate forms of cooking are:
- Thaw before broiling and place on foil on broiling pan.
- Slit the foil so the juices drip below.
- Broil 8-10 minutes. Carefully flip burgers and continue to broil an additional 5-7 minutes or until burgers register 165 on an instant thermometer.
These tasted amazing and my 2 yr old ate an entire burger!