Original recipe was taken from: http://www.freezerdinner.com/recipes/freezer-chicken-pot-pie/
This is how I did it:
6 chicken breasts cooked and chopped (I used too much chicken and had left over mix, you could go down to 4 breasts)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups sliced carrots (this recipe would be better if you used sliced carrots, I had a package of peas and carrots so I used that and it was still good, but we like more carrots)
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1½ cups milk
1 cup frozen peas
1 can corn
4 pre-made pie crust in the refrigerated section at grocery store
1. Boil potatoes, carrot, and peas in stockpot
2. While veggies are cooking, boil your chicken as well. Mine usually takes about 30 minutes from beginning to end. It will take less time if you use less chicken.
3. Drain veggies and set aside
4. Once chicken is cooked and cooled, chop up in cubes and set aside.
5. In a large pan melt butter (you can add onions and saute them in the butter if you like, I left this out since my family does not like onions). Once the butter is melted add your flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and mix.
6. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. This part did not take long at all so make sure you are watching it.
7. Add the sauce to the chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes, and corn and mix together.
8. Line 1 pie crust to the bottom of your pan (this recipe makes 2 pies). I used oversized foil bowls it was easier and fit more mixture in the pies.
9. Pour chicken mixture in the pie and top with the remaining pie crust. I cut 4 slits in the top pie crust.
10. At this point you can wrap and freeze.
Thawed – Bake one pot pie at 425ºF for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Frozen – Cover edges of frozen pie crust with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425ºF for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and bake for 70 to 80 minutes longer, or until crust is golden brown.
I had leftover mixture and pie crust so I decided to make 2 mini pot pies in ramekins. You can heat these just like the frozen pie. I have not made them yet, but I plan on starting them off with a smaller amount of time and watching them.
This is what the finished pie looks like: